Monday, February 02, 2004

WHEN YOU SNAP

I've been meaning to blog about a recent Public Lives
piece I read in the New York Times about a woman
named Sherrie L. Maricle who is my new idol.

For years Sherrie dreamed of being a jazz drummer.
She was very talented but was constantly put down
and discouraged by various people not to follow her
dream. For years she settled on being a paid wedding
band drummer until the day she recalls the exact
moment that she snapped,

"...it was the song "The Bride Cuts the Cake," played
to the tune of "The Farmer in the Dell," that broke her.
At one wedding she had to pound it out for 15 minutes
until she threw her sticks down in disgust and walked
to the bar.

"I thought, Why am I doing this?" she said. "I told my
boyfriend I could not play music like this anymore."

You go girl.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


powered by SignMyGuestbook.com