Friday, June 03, 2005

BEING SOMETHING

I work in TV. Despite my love/hate relationship with the world of television you know what? I really love it. It gives me tons of excuses to watch really, really, really horrible TV and movies both at work and at home. Plus when E walks in on me watching 'The Real Gilligan's Island' on TBS I can say, "WHAT?! It's for WORK?!!"

Recently it occured to me that I've worked in TV for close to 8 years now. That doesn't tell you much except that well...I'm really old. Back in the day when I was working on Barney Miller (kidding) when I was working at a major kids TV network, I don't think it ever occured to me that working in TV was going to be a long-term career choice for me.

I floundered a bit after college. All I wanted to do was be something...anything! After a few shitty jobs I finally landed an interview through my father's friend a big wig at a major kids TV network. Before the interview I was nervous and worried that because I came in through my dad's friend everyone would hate me or think I was a stuck up bitch. All the people I talked to on the phone seemed young and hip and cool and I didn't want them to hire me because of my connections.

Naturally, I hoped my great outfit would get me the job. I wore a stunning mud colored, linen, potato sack dress (literally a sack) and a nice pair of coal black, square tip, Amish style chunky heels. HoTTT. As if that look wasn't 'proffesional' enough I dragged along a giant black, pleather, puffy handled portfolio the size of a front car windsheild. It held my cover letter and resume which combined came to half a page at most.

Shockingly, I landed the job. Not because of my outfit but because of my connections. The happy ending was I got a makeover, made some friends for life and have continued to work hard to make my family proud.

When my grandmother heard I landed a job in TV, the next week she sent me a package in the mail. It was a pair of nude stockings.

K: Grandmother! Thanks for the package.
G: Sure, honey.
K: Why the nude stockings?
G: Because they make your legs appear tan on TV!

While I couldn't bear to break the news to my grandmother that my recent TV gig didn't mean I'd be 'on camera', I could tell her one thing. I was finally something.

3 Comments:

At 7:29 AM, Blogger aaannnaaa said...

I really enjoy coming here everyday searching for a new post... your writting is really fascinating... you put things in a way that always makes me think... i also want to be something someday... you are already something in many ways... ;)

 
At 9:13 AM, Blogger blackbird said...

Don't forget all those things you can claim as "work related expenses."
Like that giant television
the cable bill
going to the movies (checking on new talent...in the credits)
all that cool stereo and computer stuff...
going out drinking-

 
At 9:40 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

A lot of people get their jobs through connections. I landed a job at a large insurance company a few years ago through connections I had, and I thought everyone would know and resent me, blah blah blah. Then I got there and realized that most of my co-workers had even bigger connections AND trust funds.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


powered by SignMyGuestbook.com