Friday, July 29, 2005

OFF TO MAINE



Thanks to the generous Clark family, we are off once again to our annual trip to Maine. I guess this means I have to leave my straightening iron and high heels at home. Just kidding.

Last time we were in Maine on the porch with this exact view- it was a rainy day. The cabin is usually filled with friends also visiting but this time it was only E and I. The weather was kind of cool and we lit a fire and were under a blanket. Ella Fitzgerald was on the radio. It was all very calm and peaceful...except for E who was squirming around like a newborn baby and excusing himself to the bathroom like...5 times every 5 minutes.

K: What are you doing? (After 5th time back from bathroom)
E: Ah...nothing. (wild look in his eyes)
K: (back to reading)
E: Hi.
K: (looking up) Um...hi crazy man. Are you getting cabin fever?
E: No. (literally looking drunk at this point)
K: (back to reading)
E: (squirm) Can you sit up for a second. I have something I want to tell you.

And then I sat up. And then before I knew it some words were exchanged, some Prosecco was drunk from plastic camp coffee cups and I had a beautiful ring on my finger. I said yes.

Then...

The rain stopped.
We went for a canoe ride on the lake.
We cooked a delicious meal of fresh corn and burgers.
We talked about our future life together.

Sometimes things in Maine are that simple.

15 Comments:

At 9:17 AM, Blogger Stacey said...

that's so sweet. :)

 
At 10:32 AM, Blogger DemonioAngelico said...

I teared up a little...

 
At 12:15 PM, Blogger alissa said...

I so love a good engagement story..

 
At 12:48 PM, Blogger Robert said...

i needed that today.

 
At 1:05 PM, Blogger Tiffanie said...

what a wonderful story. I love engagement stories, too. : )

 
At 4:02 PM, Blogger Kiki said...

Awwww!!!!!!! That's such a cute story!! Maybe you'll get some more jewelry this time around.

 
At 5:40 PM, Blogger Kris said...

I actually said "awww" out loud. And I never say "awww!"

What a beautiful post. Have an equally beautiful weekend!

 
At 7:31 PM, Blogger citizen said...

Loved this. I don't usually comment unless I have something sarcastic to say, but I actually really enjoyed reading this. Gave me hope.

 
At 3:34 AM, Blogger Plantation said...

Very sweet. Enjoy your trip.

 
At 3:53 PM, Blogger Leeder said...

awwww.
where in maine do you go??

 
At 4:01 PM, Blogger panajane said...

Awwww, he was getting his courage up to ask you to marry him! How sweet, and what an awesome, lovely, breath taking view.

 
At 12:27 PM, Blogger Marilyn said...

Wow. That was a year ago already?!

 
At 11:06 AM, Blogger bunny mcintosh said...

oh man. I totally expected a hilarious antidote where your man gets violently ill and/or destroys something, and there you tell your engagement story.
I love that.

 
At 3:21 AM, Blogger catsteevens said...

I read it three times.

The first time I was like, "hey wait a minute" and then went back to the top.
The second time I was like "cool."
And the third time for a warm & fuzzy feel.

:)

 
At 5:44 AM, Blogger Sheri said...

that is such a beautiful story! and a little odd, because my man and i just celebrated our 3 yr. anniversary in Maine one day before your one year engagement anniversary. hm.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


powered by SignMyGuestbook.com