Tuesday, July 19, 2005

SOMEONE SPECIAL

Last night I was in bed reading Bruce Chatwin. E was out in the living room on his computer looking at his photos of bicycles and intersections (don't ask). And Jane the orange tabby cat was sprawled out on the bathroom floor like a bear rug because it was about 10,000 degrees in the apartment. And that's with air-conditioning.

We were awaiting the arrival of one of our dearest friends D who was sleeping over after band practice. D has been going through a bit of a relationship bad time and has certainly done her share of couch surfing over the past month. My heart feels for her. During the breakup of my marriage, I crashed on many floors and couches and beds. I like to share with D the time I consider a turning point during that period. I was sleeping on the bottom bunk of a family friend's 12-year old girl's room thinking, "I'm a 27-year-old woman sleeping in a bunk bed full of Beanie Babies. What have I done with my life?"

We are always happy to see D. Last time she came I ordered a giant spread of food and E danced around with his ipod and a sweatband around his head trying to make her (us) laugh. It worked. This time as we awaited her arrival, we heard the front iron gate squeak and out of nowhere E jumped out of his seat from the computer and started singing at the top of this lungs,

"SOMEONE SPECIAL! SOMEONE SPECIAL IS HERRREEEEEEE YES SHE ISSSSSS YES SHE ISSSSSSS!"

I began to feel quite special myself because of the pure nature of the song. It was a happy tune. It would make anyone feel special.

E continued as he threw open the front door,
"SOMEONE SPECIAL! SOMEONE SPECIAL IS HERRREEEEEEE YES SHE ISSSSSS YES SHE ISSSSSSS!"

and now added a Jiminey Cricket style dance just short of a top hat and cane.

I went back to reading. Then I heard some muffled talking and heard E quietly shuffle back inside. He came into the bedroom a bit red in the face:

K: Where's D?
E: Um...that actually...wasn't...D
K: Who was it?
E: ...Heidi the landlord....taking out the garbage

All I can say is the term 'busted a gut laughing' is not even good enough to describe how hard I laughed. And when D arrived moments later and E reinacted the entire event with his dancing around and me in my pjs and Jane the cat meowing and D laughing - I was thankful for what I was finally doing with my life. Having one.

K: I think I have my blog for tomorrow!
D: (cracking up)
E: GEEK

7 Comments:

At 9:14 AM, Blogger Robert said...

the end of this post includes a tactic i like to use in my column: "bringin' it all home."

 
At 10:28 AM, Blogger Mary said...

Oh god. That made me laugh outloud.

And how lucky is D to have friends like you?

 
At 10:51 AM, Blogger Eliot said...

I call it "The Family Ties Ending".

 
At 1:26 PM, Blogger kaymaria said...

I'm a little late for the KDUNK poll but I had to comment about this current post because it was Just So Great. I love, love, love how it's such a perfect slice of Life. Broken marriage, breaking marriage, and new and improved perfectly silly marriage all rolled into an evening. It does a girl good to read it!

 
At 3:25 PM, Blogger aaannnaaa said...

you guys are sweet... and the landlord must have loved it!... it should have been a vimeo moment... ahahah

 
At 9:45 AM, Blogger zinktuais said...

LOL! Soooo funny.

 
At 1:15 AM, Blogger Molly said...

bwahahahahahahahaha

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


powered by SignMyGuestbook.com