Saturday, August 13, 2005

DRUM CIRCLE


Dear Young People That Are College Kids Right Now,

One day you - yes you - will come across a photo like this from your 'youth', your 'wild past' that will make you want to curl up and die. Perhaps not a photo of you in your 'hippie' days playing in a 'drum circle' at your southern women's college per se but something as equally as frightening.

You can do two things when you find this photo: hide it or share it. Technically, in my book if you make fun of yourself first - you win.

God I was so skinny and my arms looked great. Perhaps it's time to go back to drumming.

I post this now because E and I are four weeks away from our wedding. I think it's only fair that he finally knows about my 'wild' past. My past hanging out with fellow drum circle friends 'Rush' and 'Sandstone' (no...seriously) coming up with some 'new beats'. Yeah man.

But seriously, what is going on here? It looks like a bunch of homeless kids giving a congo drum presentation at a senior citizen home.

Who's condo is this? I half expect Morty Seinfeld to peek out from behind the curtains.

Possible flyer for this photo:

WANTED. FUTURE BANKERS AND LAWYERS AND TV WRITERS PRETENDING TO BE LAID BACK HIPPIES TO JOIN FUN LOVIN' SOUTHERN DRUM CIRCLE. MUST BRING OWN DRUM. MUST NOT HAVE SHAVED NOR GOTTEN A HAIRCUT IN PAST TEN MONTHS. DRESS-JEANS AND 'WACKY TOP' OPTIONAL - ALTHOUGH ENCOURAGED

It's funny how these things come back around to haunt us again.
It's because life man...is like just one big drum circle.

13 Comments:

At 12:31 PM, Blogger posthipchick said...

i love the expressions of everyone in the pic- focused and feeling the vibe.

 
At 5:17 PM, Blogger Plantation said...

I think it's a cute pic. Line from Garden State...Sam to Largeman:

"If you can't laugh at yourself, life's gonna seem a whole lot longer than you like. "

 
At 1:09 AM, Blogger Emily said...

haha. i remember the "drum circle people" who lived across the street from me and played every day on their porch.

i have so many pictures like that- mainly taken during karaoke- which could be used as blackmail should i ever run for political office.

 
At 11:22 PM, Blogger alissa said...

your arms did look great. maybe I should take up drum circle too...

 
At 7:32 PM, Blogger supercommon said...

I'm leaving for my first year of college in about a week. Last night I went to a friend's house and watched while they all played music. I shook a tambourine. Weird.

 
At 10:35 AM, Blogger M-m-m-m-m-m-m-Momo said...

four weeks!!!!

riding the intergeek train again, K, live from london. xox

 
At 12:36 PM, Blogger Kiki said...

I have plenty of these haunting pictures floating around somewhere.

 
At 2:12 PM, Blogger custerdome said...

You look unduly serious. I love it.

 
At 4:08 AM, Blogger catsteevens said...

Man, that guy's beard....it's killin' me.

 
At 6:46 PM, Blogger misterniceguy1960 said...

Well . . . some people do "hippie" things for awhile and go on to become bankers and lawyers.

Others, like Sherman Hemsley and Larry Hagman, play lawyers and bankers on TV but then go home to live their hippie lives.

And probably there are some other interesting combinations thereof.

 
At 4:59 PM, Blogger mr. nice guy said...

not only did i participate in the occasional drum circle in college, but i was frequently found outside, barefoot, with my acoustic guitar engaged in noodling bottom-lip-biting jam sessions YOU KNOW IT. and waaaait a second. another mr nice guy? commenting on this blog? what's going on here?

 
At 10:33 PM, Blogger Sully Drum Bos said...

You guys are really LISTENING.....

That'll do you good!

 
At 2:44 AM, Blogger Mike said...

Very nice blog, hard to come by these days,

If you have a chance, can you visit my how to play guitar site

It has all guitar related stuff.

Thanks

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


powered by SignMyGuestbook.com