Friday, August 12, 2005

WHAT PROJECT?



Some things never change. You think they would but they don't. A few moments ago I was reminded of a project that was due today and I nearly had a heart attack. You don't seem to understand but I've been like this my whole life. Plan in advance? God forbid no. It's bad.

I recently found a photo flashing me back to a time in my life where I had a lot of these last minute panic moments. College. In particular, the moment I am thinking of is the day before my senior year exam in photography where we had to shoot, print and mount a series of photographs (around 20) to present to a panel of art professors for our final grade. Y...e...a...h. People worked MONTHS on this project and yet somehow it managed to slip my mind. Duh.

I remember the moment when I 'came to'. I was sitting on the private back patio in my bra sun bathing with a friend of mine. (It was an all women's college) We were soaking in the rays and counting down the days until we were outta there. Then I got a call. It was a girl named B in my photography class. She said,

B: So, I was just calling to see when you are dropping off your portfolio project.
K: (heart attack) What portfolio project?

Within 15 minutes I ran inside, threw on a shirt, called six friends to serve as 'models', scanned the room for anything...anything that would serve as a 'theme' in the photography project and my eyes zoned in on this funky old corner couch I had sitting in my room. I borrowed a friend's car. I threw the corner couch in the back of the car. I called the six friends and told them to meet me in various locations where I shot them sitting on this couch. 1 at Taco Bell. 1 at a dumpy run down motel. 1 at an Arby's, etc. In the end I managed to capture a number of pretty good shots for the rushed job I must say. I stayed up all night in the darkroom and walked out just as the sun was coming up.

When I went to present my pieces that morning, I got good reviews from most the panel except the one prof that had had it out for me from the very start. He asked to 'see me' after my presentation. When I went into his office he began to ask me a lot of questions. How did I come up with this idea? How many takes of each shot did I have to do before I was pleased? How did I like working in the dark room?

He went on and on. I felt like I was under interrogation - a hot lightbulb hanging over my head. I started to sweat. I remember feeling guilty. Not guilty for being a dumbass that waited to the last minute to do everything but rather guilty for having to defend myself to this man. He was hinting around that I might not have even taken these photos in the first place. I started to sweat more than I should have but to make it worse I started to button up my cardigan because I noticed my tank top underneath was a little too revealing. Great. Guilty and slutty. By the end of the conversation my cardigan was buttoned to the top of my throat. I looked like Mary Poppins. He gave me a C.

There was a great lesson learned here so take note. Next time...unbutton the cardigan while talking to the male professor. Your C might just be a B.

4 Comments:

At 6:57 PM, Blogger aaannnaaa said...

;) you...!

 
At 10:24 PM, Blogger sheepish said...

Ummm, as a male professor I don't think this would really influence the grade much (for me at least)... but I guess I would welcome the attempt!

 
At 9:39 AM, Blogger epmd said...

notice he said "much" as in, it would influence the grade.

 
At 12:36 PM, Blogger Kiki said...

The picture you posted is cool, I think.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


powered by SignMyGuestbook.com