Friday, September 23, 2005

CITY MOUSE


When I was a kid I used to enjoy a book about a city mouse and a country mouse that were cousins and how they swapped lives one weekend and the 'hilarity that ensued'. I don't remember much of the story but I must confess that being in Maine has certainly brought out the city mouse in me.

I kind of get freaked out easily. Not in an annoying way where one thinks to themselves, 'why did I bring this chick up here' - well ok it's best you ask E to confirm this - but rather more in a...city girl kind of way. For example two incidents come to mind since we have been up here:

THE CHIPMUNK INCIDENT
Ok. I don't know much about chipmunks. In fact I think it's safe to say that this trip was the first time I saw a chipmunk and while it's cute and stuff...I don't need one to be loose and running around on the inside porch. When it got in and bounced around from place to place on the porch like a pinball I locked myself inside and watched through the living room window as E ran around and chased it outside again.

Thinking that was done with...but it wasn't. Later I saw a chipmunk run into the shed where I had left the door open by mistake,

K: ACK! CRAP!
E: Jesus...what's wrong?!
K: A chipmunk is in the SHED!!!!
E: Honey, it's fine. It will run back out.
K: I mean...doesn't it eat wood?

(insert long stare from E, a laugh and then a long lecture on what chupmunks eat...ie: not wood sheds)

THE MOUSE INCIDENT
We were sitting by the fire having drinks and doing a puzzle. As E said we are practicing for our retirement. Have you ever done a puzzle? Puzzles as great as long as they don't have too much 'sky'. I start with the edges and E starts with the 'stuff' you know, the truck, the apple, etc. I also never look at the box while E holds actual pieces up to the box to see where they fit. I'm not sure what this says about us but it works in our favor because often we join our parts together right when things could potentially start to get annoying about doing a puzzle.

So back to the mouse...I grew up in an old house with mice. I am not afraid of them really but again much like the chipmunk I don't need to be best friends with them. I was sitting on a tiny stool doing the puzzle when the first mouse ran right past my leg. Each crackle of the fire later or shadow cast I was jumpy and couldn't relax. That night E put out traps - the nice traps where you can release the mice the next day. He got one. Day two he caught two. Day three one more. For all we know it's the same damn mouse over and over again coming back to the cabin hoping to catch another whiff of E's delicious pork tacos.

4 Comments:

At 12:15 PM, Blogger jayKayEss said...

When I was a kid we used to spend Summers in northern Ontario with my aunt + uncle. They had the chipmunks trained to eat peanuts out of your hand. It was really very sweet and adorable-- give the chimpmunks a chance!

 
At 12:15 PM, Blogger posthipchick said...

i was camping last year and taking a nice nap and woke up to find a squirrel about a foot from my face, staring right at me.

they are cute and all, but i really don't want to share a bed with them. ugh.

 
At 4:45 PM, Blogger Floridora said...

Please, for your own comfort, don't come to south Florida. We have those very large lizards with the curly tails. Very ugly! A mini Jurassic Park feel.

 
At 10:38 PM, Blogger Joe said...

Hey girl, Congrads on the wedding!!!! Have a great weekend!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


powered by SignMyGuestbook.com