Tuesday, September 13, 2005

WHAT YOUR BODY TELLS YOU


Last Saturday E and I enjoyed an amazing home cooked Korean meal at the lovely home of J and R. They are both smart, talented, funny and interesting people. J is also an amazing cook. They have the world's most adorable baby too that they were kind enough to let me kidnap on my lap for a while.

Sadly towards the end of the night I began to fade. My body was detoxing from all the recent stress at work and home. A lovely meal and interesting conversation forced me to relax for the first time in a long while and by Sunday I was wiped out entirely.

While at dinner R and I talked about the body's reaction to stress. R confessed that when he is home he occasionally suffers from allergies and various ailments now and again. When he travels they all seem to disappear. I confessed about my 'stress eye' - a red bump that appears in the same spot under my right eye when I feel stressed. Sunday, the morning after the dinner I woke up and there it was. The same red bump under my right eye. It was as if I'd called it up from the dead.

Since Sunday I have been resting. I am not a good rester. I get anxious. I look around the house at all the things that need cleaning. I feel guilty taking time off of work. I think I should be writing. I so badly want to check the 3,000 wedding items still left to do off my list but can't. I get angry. I ask myself, "How can all this laying on the couch watching bad TV be the perfect cure for stress?" I just don't get it. I think I am stronger than this. And then I cough and cough and cough until it feels that my chest is on fire and I am forced to get back on the couch again for more resting. It's funny what your body tells you. It feels the need to remind you how much stronger it is than you on a constant basis.

The minute I do rest and let go the better I begin to feel. Funny how that is. The things that don't get done for the upcoming wedding will have to go undone. I look forward to having my strength back and am starting to remember what really matters. For now I'm off to make some lunch and finish watching Days of Our Lives.

10 Comments:

At 1:27 PM, Blogger posthipchick said...

exact same situation here today.
sniffle, cough, ack!

 
At 6:18 PM, Blogger Kiki said...

Do you ever get to watch Passions? It's definatly a guilty pleasure, but it always keeps me interested and keeps my mind off things.

And it's on right after days!!

 
At 8:58 PM, Blogger Bridget Jones said...

so totally get that. Learning to lay back and relax takes years.

How about a nice long tub soak? With a jacuzzi mat and a glass of wine?

Yep that'll do it!

Bridg

 
At 11:03 PM, Blogger peep said...

the body IS amazing. When I get stressed - which is often - my lower eyelids tremble uncontrollably. It probably doesn't help that I drink, like, 800 liters of caffeinated beverages every day.

ps: your recent posts have been most outstanding - keep it up!

 
At 9:40 AM, Blogger Ilona said...

I get the EXACT same thing - red bump just beneath eye. Once had it removed, under local anasthetic. You do not want to go there... Having a slit made under your eye and the build-up removed with a tiny sundae spoon is not fun.

 
At 10:39 PM, Blogger jazz said...

have been going through the same shit while trying to look for an apt and a job...

not sure how i found you but i like your taste in links.

gawker rocks!

 
At 1:29 AM, Blogger The Aupair said...

Shame about the red bump but at least you've got pretty feet!
Hope that cheers you up!

 
At 9:16 AM, Blogger Sub Girl said...

rest is good, but i also feel guilty when i'm doing nothing, like i should be doing something else!

 
At 6:49 PM, Blogger Miladysa said...

I used to get stressed and have to force myself to relax but now I have to or my blood pressure rises. Take it easy and chill! :)

 
At 10:57 PM, Blogger Dream Builder said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!
I have a work at home internet business
site. It pretty much covers work at home internet business
related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


powered by SignMyGuestbook.com