Saturday, February 18, 2006

LEAVING MY MARK

I have a lot of challenges with my body. One of them is my frequent canker sores. Have you ever had one? They are painful and annoying and in my case last weeks on end. I've had them since the age of fourteen and when I get them they often grow to the size of a dime.

One time when I was in high school I ate an entire bag of Reese's peanut butter cups - the special Halloween bag size - all in one sitting. The next morning I woke up and I couldn't speak I was in so much pain. My entire mouth was swollen with over 20 canker sores. I couldn't got to school. My mother took me to the doctor. I confessed about my chocolate overdose and he told me it was related. Putting the pieces together my father realized he too got canker sores when he ate chocolate.

Does this stop me from eating it? Sadly no. But I know what I am in for when I do. I have one currently at the tip of my tongue and it's KILLING me. All for the price of licking the chocolate frosting off a stale cupcake at an office party last week.

Yesterday I had my exit interview at work. I sat with the woman from HR and due to the canker sore at the tip of my tongue slurred my words the entire time. I felt like I should say something like, "I swear I'm not drinking on the job. I just licked some chocolate off an office party cupcake." But then I realized I've quit my job. Who cares. My records and her copious notes in blue ink as to my reasons for leaving will disappear into a dusty file cabinet somewhere. Never to be seen again.

17 Comments:

At 2:48 PM, Blogger jayKayEss said...

I used to get them as a teenager every time I poked myself in the teeth/gums with my toothbrush. But for the past few years, they haven't bothered me much.

Canker sores are an autoimmune problem-- maybe make sure you're getting lots of potassium and vitamin D in your diet?

 
At 4:35 PM, Blogger Terri said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 4:41 PM, Blogger Terri said...

I have the answer!!!!! Amazing as it seems I've been dealing with this problem for a million years! (okay, maybe it only feels like a million years!) BUT, in the past four weeks I've done a scientific experiment on myself. After years of the Dr. prescribing everything from Valtrex to mouthwashes and assorted other treatments, none of which worked and were expensive, I think I've found the cure!! Lysine. I've been taking 1,000mg tablets, at least one tablet with each meal and voila! I think I'm FREE! Mine would get worse around the time I had my periods..they are an autoimmune problem so probably increasing potassium and Vitamin D wouldn't hurt but honestly the only thing I've changed in the past few weeks, and it's worked miraculously, is LYSINE! I hope it works for you and it's cheap! BTW, thank you so much for your encouraging comment on my blog. What a nice thing to say. And, of course it brought me here - which I've enjoyed fully - especially your post about grandmothers - mine are both living 93 and 90 and lived alone until just a few months ago when we moved them both in with my mother. My mother bought a larger home with a "girl's wing" (we call them 'the girls') and I moved from Ventura to San Diego to be closer and help out. I was able to take my job with me (that was a huge issue, not wanting to leave a job I loved and my employer graciously allowed me to bring my job with me)I now work from home and see "the girls" several times a week.

I can't wait to read more about you and I hope you try the Lysine - much better than giving up chocolate. Just the thought.....(I once owned a small chocolate factory!)....just the suggestion of "no chocolate" well, please, try the Lysine. If it works we'll bottle it ourselves, think of a clever name and make millions of $$'s! Okay, well, maybe not, but still, you might at least be able to eat chocolate without suffering! Thanks again....truly, sincerely, you made my day.

 
At 4:48 PM, Blogger Martha said...

Are canker sores also called mouth ulcers? My husband gets them really badly, but I'm not certain they're the same thing.

 
At 5:02 PM, Blogger mr. nice guy said...

i take Lysine pills whenever i feel one coming on. work like a charm.

 
At 6:45 PM, Blogger aaannnaaa said...

oh... poor you... it must be awful!
can i ask why did you quit?... just curiosity, hope not to bother... ;) take care!

 
At 7:03 PM, Blogger stringbeanjean said...

yeah, i'm weird too.
when i cry my eyelids swell up like balloons.

 
At 2:27 PM, Blogger zinktuais said...

hehe! good luck with your new job!

 
At 12:56 AM, Blogger Chloe said...

This is going to sound goofy - but I get terrible canker sores when I use commercial toothpaste! I use a natural kind and - presto! no more canker sores :-)

 
At 12:06 AM, Blogger dani said...

so a new direction is in store....i hope your reasons for leaving are pushing you in the direction of something amazing.

 
At 4:57 PM, Blogger alissa said...

Wow... shame about the cankers. Well aware that they can be extremely painful - strangely whenever I get one on the tip of my tongue, I can't help but constantly push it against the metal bar that I have against the inside of my bottom teeth. (If you had braces when you were younger, you may know what I'm talking about. Or you may not.) Anyhow, it hurts, and yet... I keep doing it.

On a separate note, I too am curious about the new job! Good luck!

 
At 9:00 PM, Blogger Hilda said...

My mom always had us put a little dab of alum powder on canker sores. It makes the sore temporarily pucker to the point of almost closing. Plus, it will stop you from playing with it because it tastes really really bad.

 
At 2:11 AM, Blogger Ava said...

Ah! I almost thought that I was the only one to get canker sores from chocolate! The first time it happened I went on a hershey's kisses binge and ate a whole bag during my period and I sure regretted it the next day! I still try to avoid chocolate because for some reason it just aggravates the sores and makes it worse. Seeing from the posts I think I'll try lysine, but I've also found that there's this thing called canker cover that you can buy at a pharmacy that you just stick over the sore and it helps it heal faster. It's pretty expensive though, like $20 for a box of 6, but it's worth it in my opinion.

 
At 7:46 PM, Blogger sweeticeblue said...

I was born with canker sores - so many that I couldn't drink from a bottle! I suffered my entire life (I'm now 31) and just last year discovered that chocolate is the culprit for me, too! Thanks to Halloween, I now have an infected canker on the inside of my bottom lip that is excruciating!

 
At 10:41 PM, Blogger Adriana said...

I too started to suspect a chocolate allergy. Last night I OD'd on Valentine's Peanut M & Ms and within an hour I had 3 pea-sized ulcers.

I took 2 Benadryls and the ulcers closed up overnight and do not hurt!!!!

I am going to try to replicate the experiment with Plain M & Ms and just peanuts...

 
At 12:05 AM, Blogger Ethan Cooper said...

Hello .. firstly I would like to send greetings to all readers. After this, I recognize the content so interesting about this article. For me personally I liked all the information. I would like to know of cases like this more often. In my personal experience, I really enjoyed reading about , I think that this Is a very professional information, and I would like to know if you know something about eco vacation costa rica

 
At 10:09 PM, Blogger George said...

It must have been horrible not to eat your favorite dessert. Canker sores are true spoilers. My myrtle beach dentist once said that canker sores are caused by a lot of things like stress, injury, drugs and allergies (like what you have with chocolates). That is why it is best to know what triggers the appearance of these annoying canker sores, so that you can easily prevent it. I was shocked when you said that you had 20 all at the same time. Oh man, that's torture! My max is 2 and it’s already that painful that I have to visit my Myrtle Beach Dentists' Clinic. Glad that it’s all gone now.

Well, thanks for sharing your experience. If I were you I'll crave for other sweets.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


powered by SignMyGuestbook.com