Saturday, March 04, 2006

FUNNY

David Sedaris is an obvious humor god. I told E that if I were ever on my death bed to please just read chapters from "Me Talk Pretty One Day" until I passed. I've REALLY enjoyed Jonathan Ames most recent book which I found brilliant. Anthony Bourdain. David Rakoff. James Thurber. EB White. All have inspired me.

I love the female humor writers or writers that make me laugh - Sarah Vowell. Sarah Hepola. Fran Lebowitz. Dorothy Parker. Tama Janowitz. Anka Radakovich. Katherine Dunn. Anne Lamott. Annie Dilliard. Nora Ephron. I've been lucky to meet Sarah Vowell in person after attending a humor writing seminar where she spoke about being called 'The female David Sedaris'. It made me think about how so many female writers have pink book covers and are compared to male humor writers instead of just being funny themselves. I once wrote Sarah Hepola a letter (I told you I was a geek) to which she responded with funny, insightful thoughts on humor writing which I will share with you if I can dig it up. If you can suggest more humor writers for me to read please let me know.

I recently was doing some self-exploration on my history with humor and wrote the following email to my parents:

Dear Mom & Dad,

Was I a funny kid? Did I make you laugh - if so how? I know I used to like to write ever since I was little - right? What did my teachers say?

xo K


Response From Dad:

Dear K,

You were more the type of kid who soaked it all up rather than the class clown, although you did show an early fondness for practical jokes and the occasional limerick. I think you're so funny now because you were absorbing it for later, putting your take on it.

You always wrote -- and well. That talent was recognized by teachers early. You may not remember it, but you could also yodel very well, too. However, you gave that up when you started flute lessons.

Love, Dad

11 Comments:

At 2:46 PM, Blogger anrim said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 2:49 PM, Blogger anrim said...

Laurie Notaro is a funny writer you might enjoy.

 
At 6:41 PM, Blogger zinktuais said...

the moment i read you were starting a new job and it was 'a dream come true' i knew it had to do with writing. i'm so glad for you!!

 
At 12:03 PM, Blogger Floridora said...

You like wit AND laugh-out-loud funny? By all means read "Where There's a Will" by John Mortimer published by Viking. I know from nothing, but I loved it. The UK Daily Express is quoted as follows, "Only those suffering from the deepest depression, or already dead, will not derive the greatewst pleasure and laughter ...in this truly wonderful book". Strangely, it is mostly about serious stuff.

 
At 11:01 AM, Blogger sac said...

Seek out the Santa Stories by Kevin Killian. I may have the name of the book wrong, actually, but Killian is an undiscovered genius. Also hilarious in person.

 
At 2:34 PM, Blogger DemonioAngelico said...

I think the yodeling is what really made you funny. Your love of writing just tempered it into comedic genius. But that's just my opinion. Either way I still bow down to you.

 
At 3:19 PM, Blogger Eliot said...

This yodeling business is news to me. I demand more yodeling.

 
At 5:31 PM, Blogger amber said...

yodeling? that's hilarious but giving it up for flute lessons might be a tragedy.

 
At 2:52 PM, Blogger b said...

Eudora Welty "Why I live at the PO" - old but very, very good.

 
At 8:14 PM, Blogger Ajax said...

That's funny I never realized you were funny. Hahaha, get it? LOL j/k.

 
At 8:13 AM, Blogger Plantation said...

Cool job. Have always thought I'd like to do the same thing. Best of luck and keep us posted.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


powered by SignMyGuestbook.com