Wednesday, April 26, 2006

MY 10TH GRADE BOYFRIEND

E is in San Fran. I miss him. Our home seems darker. Less light. Quiet. I sleep with a pillow on its side flush against my back. A pretend man. I lock the front door from the inside. I leave the dining room table a mess. Jane the cat and I walk from room to room. She gives a long "Meow" looking around and I say, "Yes Jane. I know."

We look at E's things around the apartment - a shirt still on it's hanger from the dry cleaner, a pile of papers, his bulletin board of random photographs, a photo of him on the fridge, things that we see every day when he is here but now seem in a different light.

The phone rings. E calls. I tell him he got a package. This is our exchange:

E: Oh it's probably some shirts I ordered.
K: Shirts? Wow. Big spender. This is a big package.
E: American Apparel was having a sale.
K: I like American Apparel. Good shirts.
E: Yeah
K: What colors did you get?
E: All kinds of colors.
K: Wow. Cool.
E: Yeah.

We proceed to talk like this for a while. It's like a Seinfeld episode. A lot about nothing - but definitely something.

K: You know what this conversation reminds me of?
E: What?
K: Being in 10th grade - two teens talking on the phone about nothing...
E: (laughs)
K: They like each other but neither will admit to it...
K: Ok well bye. Have a good night.
E: Ok you too.

When we hang up I do something I never do. I check the call timer on my phone. We talked for 18 minutes and 56 seconds. I loved and already miss every minute of it.

5 Comments:

At 12:54 PM, Blogger blackbird said...

K was away this week too...and he got packages (computer related of course).
When he called each night I realized that I had nothing to tell him about, just that I needed to hear him, to be with him over the dead air of the phone.

 
At 4:34 PM, Blogger alfr3do said...

all very romantic. It's so sweet to go away when you have something to return to.

it's a shame you couldn't make it to that diner when we were in nyc. Next time.

 
At 12:07 AM, Blogger catsteevens said...

Ha. When my husband is away, I do the "pretend man" thing too.

 
At 1:58 AM, Blogger dani said...

sweet! love is the best!

 
At 6:29 PM, Blogger alissa said...

That's so sweet. My husband is usually away about a week/month - and we kind of have that 'phone thing' too. Nothing much to say, just talk. It's nice. That, and I don't clean as much when he's not here.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


powered by SignMyGuestbook.com