Saturday, July 29, 2006

BRIDAL BROUHAHA



My friend A is getting married this October. Today we host a bridal shower for her and tonight is a night on the town 'bachelorette style'.

These types of nights always amaze me. They are often full of strange traditions that I never understood and in some sense seem from another time or place or just entirely made up all together. Make your friend wear a penis crown and penis earrings. Make your friend wear lace underwear on top of her pants and a veil while dancing. Make your friend get one last kiss from a guy before she is married. Where did these traditions come from? I'm guessing New Jersey but I could be wrong.

For my bachelorette party I invited a bunch of women friends out to my parent's empty house for the weekend. My idea was to trick them all into thinking it was a mellow weekend away in the country and avoid any of the traditional and horrifying bachelorette madness I did my best to avoid. No such luck. As I returned from the train station to pick up another friend that had just arrived, I drove up to my parents house only to see a GIANT penis balloon complete with balls sticking out the front door of the house to greet me. The rest of the night went pretty much down hill after that - two words - Jello shots.

Yesterday I got a call from B - my friend who is a young Mom with twins under two living in Minneapolis. She is flying in without kids today to join in the bachelorette fun. B is in charge of getting all the embarassing penis themed crap that NONE of us like but the future bride does. The call went something like this:

B: K - It's B.
K: Hey! How's it going?
B: Good - I'm in a sex shop with the twins in a Minneapolis mall.
K: hahahha
B: Is a penis pinata too over the top?
K: Uh...
B: (whispering to kids) - Honey, Don't touch that - that's for adults.

6 Comments:

At 11:56 AM, Blogger posthipchick said...

That is fucking awesome.

I refuse to participate in any bacelorette shindigs that involve penis straws, but I'm a bitch like that. You are clearly much more tolerant.

 
At 2:24 PM, Blogger jayKayEss said...

So that's where my giant penis balloon went. You better give it back now.

 
At 9:02 PM, Blogger K said...

hilarious. i told my friends that i didnt want anything over the top. no penis stuff. they obliged except for the penis shaped cookies. but the cookies expanded so they were really puffy and then my friend decorated them with drops of food coloring so they looked like they had some STD. it was pretty funny. i did wear a veil and crown but it very beautiful. i felt so bad for the other girls i saw that night with glowing penis crowns and penis straws and all that. i definitely want to know how that tradition started!

 
At 5:39 PM, Blogger catsteevens said...

Bwaaahahahahaa! That last part made me laugh hard. Hilarious!

 
At 11:42 AM, Blogger API Productions said...

Hi ~
API Productions, in association with Red Frame Productions, are making a
documentary about people born on August 3rd.

We are studying the psychology, characteristics, lifestyles, outlooks,
emotions, relationships etc etc of these people to find the similarities,
differences and coincidences in our characters.

If you would like to be involved (no matter where you live), please email
us at: info@apiproductions.com with "AUGUST 3rd" in the subject line and a
rough idea of where you live.

Many thanks,
Richard

 
At 4:45 AM, Blogger High Style said...

The experience was awesome. My cousin picked this dress for her bridesmaids and I love it. It's a snug fit but it doesn't make me feel squeezed or anything like that.
Louis Vuitton shoes

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


powered by SignMyGuestbook.com