Tuesday, August 22, 2006

AFFAIR TO REMEMBER

On August 29th I will turn 33. This is funny. I share a birthday with Michael Jackson. The age doesn’t bother me. My physical body could use some touch ups – more exercise, a little less coffee, etc. I’m not the biggest fan of the massive amounts of gray hair coming in along the rim of my face and I see lines that weren’t there before 30...but overall I am grateful, happy, content and wow...almost 33.

I don’t remember a lot of my birthdays as a kid which will most likely horrify my mother when she reads this. All I do remember is how creative my mother was with most things about our childhood. I do recall though one of my favorite birthdays. My parents hosted a Luau for what I think was my 8th bday party. My mother hollowed out over twenty coconuts to make drink holders. I wore a grass skirt despite being too shy to wear a bikini top. There were lots of bright colors and a long wooden table my mother made with pillows on the sides for us all to sit. There were a few adults there encouraged to wear Hawaiian shirts. There was Hawaiian music.

I do remember a few of my sister’s birthday parties more. Perhaps because I never liked that much attention drawn to myself and also I did well with the responsibility of remembering someone else’s life instead of mine. My sister once had a 'seasons' themed party. Everyone was encouraged to attend dressed for a season. Kids came in flippers and masks, others wool hats and winter coats. My mother took out our living room rug and filled the place with sand and beach toys.

A NYC friend was talking about her son’s first birthday recently. She ordered tons of food to be catered. Hired a party entertainer guy. Made her husband create a mixed CD of songs. They got a permit for the park. At the end they realized they had forgotten to take a single photo of the entire event.

To me – a photo geek by nature – this seemed like the worst possibly thing to ever happen to someone. Not ONE single photo of that particular much less VERY important event? The more I thought about it the more I was reminded of a conversation I had not long ago with Jake where he talked about not being present in mind and missing the events in his life because he was too busy photographing them.
It's a good reminder.

4 Comments:

At 6:08 PM, Blogger Oestre-Bunny said...

i'm like that, i have a perfectly good camera and i remember to take it places but it just never occurs to me to take any actual pictures. I dont think i actually own a single photo. i have photos of nights that my friends have taken but nothing to credit myself with...

 
At 7:21 PM, Blogger deborah said...

happy birthday kdunk! hope you have a fabulous birthday cake and many many happy wishes.

 
At 2:16 PM, Blogger san said...

happy birthday :)

and thanks for stopping by on my website!

 
At 1:40 PM, Blogger teresinha said...

you share your birthday with my grandma too:) she will be 90 this year and she has beautiful white hair! http://www.flickr.com/photos/teresamattamouros/80282435/

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


powered by SignMyGuestbook.com