Wednesday, September 20, 2006

LETTER OF THE WEEK: A BELATED HAPPY ANNIVERSARY TO MY HUSBAND

Dearest Husband,

Happy One Year Anniversary to you...us. Like I say dramatically when our plane lands at any airport after a long flight, “We made it.”

There is a lot less drama now. More strength. Less beads of sweat. More hand holding. Less white knuckling through life although I’m not so sure any couple is totally free from it. More of me changing the roll of toilet paper when it’s empty and more of you folding the laundry. Hey - things are looking up.

On our recent trip to Oregon, we cracked open some watery beer and cheap champagne, sat out on our tiny motel porch and in the blinding sun overlooking a cliff of trees that lead down to the water - we re-read our vows. Things were different this time.

On our actual wedding day as you confessed – you were fairly choked up and you could barely read your vows. Surprisingly on our wedding day I remained calm, cool and collected cracking jokes like Jerry Seinfeld and reading my vows while reminding the audience of the two drink minimum.

Tables were turned this time. When you read vows you were the calm, cool and collected one. Your vows were so real and sweet and thoughtful and most of all - timeless. When I began to read mine - I was a blubbering mess. Partially because I realized my vows were not sweet and timeless but rather strange and already outdated. Nor were they promises just lists of reasons why I loved you. All I could think about was, “YOU LET ME READ THESE IN FRONT OF EVERYONE WE KNOW?” and “WHAT IS OUR FUTURE KID GOING TO THINK?” Dad’s timeless vows. Mom’s lame and outdated vows.

I love you for always remembering to change the ribbon in my typewriter…
I love you for exposing me to so many great musical eight tracks…
I love you for offering to help iron my denim pant suits…


Ugh. Regardless I do love you for so many reasons even if some are outdated.

I got one line right and may that never change.

All I want to be is your wife today.

And

I love you.

8 Comments:

At 1:51 PM, Blogger Floyd Tiny said...

Congratulations!

Shouldn't it be referred to as a "first anniversary", rather than a "one year anniversary"?

 
At 1:55 PM, Blogger weez said...

You don't know me, but I read your blog often

The last three lines of your post was really nice!
Thanks for sharing

 
At 12:09 AM, Blogger shane j montgomery said...

Congratulions to you both. Both of your photographs have inspired me to "get out there" and interact with some of the street characters here in San Diego. The stories from some of them are unbelievable, and I'm sure you two understand.

All the best to you both, keep it up, keep it up, KEEP IT UP!

Shane

 
At 2:20 PM, Blogger KFD said...

thanks for making me cry :)

 
At 4:25 PM, Blogger Mary said...

Very sweet! I wish you many more happy years to come :^)

 
At 12:16 PM, Blogger Franz Kraus said...

Great blog with good informations and pictures.
Thank you for this interesting blog.
I have bookmarked it.
Greetz Franz from
Limousinenservice in Munich

 
At 4:06 PM, Blogger Philipp said...

Quite a very good blog
with usefull informations
and very interesting news!
I wish you many visitors!

Limousinenservice in Ibiza

 
At 3:28 PM, Blogger bahar19852010 said...

great usage of word :-)


Great sharing ,
Keep on writing, you inspired us a lot..Nice blog very informative. Hope you don't mind but i have bookmarked it.
Cheers,
tramadol 200 mg
tramadol dogs side effects

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


powered by SignMyGuestbook.com